Saturday, August 24, 2013

Math Walls and Calendar Boards

I get asked so many times while out in schools, "What should be on my math board (calendar board)?"  The answer is pretty simple....the items you display should meet the Core standards in some way.  Let's face it, we do not have time for a lot of filler these days.  Core is kicking us in the teeth and the kids are expected to know those standards before they leave you.  I thought it might be helpful for you to see a few of my favorite classroom math boards.  Take a look at your board and ask yourself, "Does that warrant the time I am devoting to it?"  If the answer is no, take it down and add something that will reinforce those standards!  

The two most important items to have on your math wall...a 100 chart and a math word wall.  The 100 chart can teach everything from rote counting to addition.  Just think about all the activities you can do with it!! The word wall provides your students with the tools to understand and attaching meaning to what they are learning.  Check out the tab at the top of my blog if you need a word wall. 

 
 

These next two pictures show the perfect way you can begin working on that all important number sense!

 
 



The next picture is very important to your calendar board....working with place value.  Students will need a lot of practice in order to understand this concept.  Here are a few of my favorites.


Another idea I love to see on calendar boards is the use of data to teach ohhh.... so many things!


Finally...here are just some neat extras to put on your boards!


 
Let me know if you have any good ideas that I can add!  My best advice...don't let it get boring and make sure it is worth your time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10