Thursday, June 7, 2012

I have...who has cards

     I have...who has is an activity I often think is forgotten.  These cards offer a lot of benefit to students through the use of many skills. Once a student has developed understanding of the basic operations they need to develop fluency with the facts.   A quick way to include daily or weekly practice and mastery of these basic facts is through the use of I have...who has cards.   They can be created for any topic and can be used either with the whole class or in stations.
     Many teachers shy away from this activity because of management concerns.  Here are a few basic tools to help you with the activity:
  • Distributing cards:   Distribute one card to each student.  If any extras are left, give those to stronger students who can handle it.  The teacher can also take any extras to keep the game going.  As you distribute the cards, encourage students to start looking at their card and deciding what the question will be that will be the answer to their card.  
  • Playing with the whole class:   When all cards are distributed, select the "first" card or any student to start.   Play the game until it comes back to the original card.   That student answers and then says "stop" to signal the end of the game.  If the last card doesn't have "stop" it might be a good idea to add it.  Discourage students from calling out answers when it is not their turn.  Set-up ground rules for how to help those who are unable to answer their card. 
Click on the picture below to see all the different ones I have collected...have fun!



 

Photobucket





5 comments:

  1. Hello! I am your newest follower and just gave you an award. Please go to my blog to recieve it. Oh... and while your there please follow my blog too.
    Mrs. Janelle
    http://mrsjanelleskindergarten.blogspot.com/2012/07/my-first-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just found your blog and am now a follower. I am giving you an award. Please hop over to my blog to pick it up. I'd love for you to become a follower as well, if you would like.
    Amy
    www.adventuresinteaching.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excited to get started in Kindergarten! Not sure how I sign up for the blog but would like to follow it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are in kindergarten and I look forward to working with you! On the left side of this blog is a blue button that says follow this site. Click there and you can follow the blog!

      Delete
  4. Excited to be in Kindergarten again and looking forward to following your blog!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10